Wednesday 9 March 2016

Trash Fashion, turning trash into jewelry, New works in progress!

While I have been making my Art deco inspired paper and resin pendants I have also been working on a side project which has been inspired by paper artist and jewelry maker Liz Hamman. (You can take a look at my other post here to see some examples of her work.)

I might not be game enough to cut up books like Liz Hamman, (my father always drummed into me how important books are and that I'm never to damage books as they are one of our most precious resources)  I have no problem punching holes out of my paper trash. So yes with this project I no longer need to browse the aisles of luxury paper suppliers or craft shops, I now simply dive into the family's paper recycling bin and pick out the best pieces for my work.

 As you can see in the example below, this method doesn't have to result in colourless or dull pieces as I first thought would be the case. The example below is currently being constructed out of a used A3 sized postage envelope, with bits of airmail labels and stamps included, a blue piece of card my daughter used for a craft piece that ummm, well failed, one old Christmas card and some promotional bookmarks that were sent with my order from the Bookdepository.



The following example, which is actually my first attempt at this kind of jewelry making, is currently being constructed from a tissue box, toothpaste box, left over red and black card stock and a cough syrup box. I have also incorporated some gold acrylic paint, as one of my favourite colour combinations is red, back, grey and gold.  


I personally don't know if you could wear these pieces as jewelry, simply because the paper itself is not coated with any protective agent or sealant and could easily be ruined by sweat or water. I would love to know if Liz Hamman does anything to her necklace pieces. To me they look like raw paper. Maybe she uses a spray sealant or varnish?

For now I am just having fun making these on the side. They are time consuming but I find it so fascinating the process of taking waste and turning it into a piece or wearable art.  Let me know if you think I should continue with these. Are they something, when finished, that you would wear?

Until next time, thank you for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment